CREEP at EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2017:
79th EAGE Conference & Exhibition, Paris, France, June 12- 15, 2017
- Wen Zhou, Hanneke Paulssen: ‘Retrieval of the P- and S-velocity structure of the Groningen gas reservoir using noise interferometry’ – ePosters 6
CREEP at DRT 2017:
Talk given at the 21st international conference on Deformation mechanisms, Rheology and Tectonics held this year in Liverpool:
- Giacomo Pozzi, Nicola De Paola, Stefan B. Nielsen, Robert E. Holdsworth: Viscous Flow Controls Slip Zone Thickness and Weakening during Coseismic slip in Calcite Gouges – Wednesday, 3 May 2017; 16:30 – 16:45, Eden Court, Bishops Rd, Inverness IV3 5SA.
CREEP at SIP (Subduction Interface Processes):
Two CREEP ESRs presented their research in this workshop in Barcelona, 18-21 April 2017:
- E. van Rijsingen, S. Lallemand, M. Peyret, D. Arcay: SubRough database: Proxy of Subduction interface Roughness and its relation with seismogenic potential. Part 3 – Application
- G. Gerardi and N. M. Ribe: Boundary-element modeling of two-plates interaction at subduction zones
CREEP at EGU 2017:
CREEP ESRs participated actively to the 2017 European Geosciences Union meeting in Vienna, 28-23 April 2017, with poster presentations by:
- J. Schierjott, A. Rozel, P. Tackley: Toward unraveling a secret of the lower mantle: Detecting and characterizing piles using a grain size-dependent, composite rheology. Session GD3.2/EMRP4.24/SM10.1 Understanding Earth’s mantle with links to geological cycles
- J. Schierjott, M. Thielmann, G. Golabek, A. Rozel, D. Bercovici, T. Gerya: Can grain size evolution initiate transform faults? – Insights from 3D- numerical modeling. Session TS9.2 Oceanic and continental transform plate boundaries: nucleation, evolution and tectonic significance
- A. Pisconti, C. Thomas, J. Wookey: Probing seismic anisotropy in the lowermost mantle beneath the Central Atlantic Ocean. Session GD7.2/EMRP4.9/SM10.2 – Anisotropy from crust to core: Observations, models and implications
- B. Martínez Montesinos, B.J.P. Kaus, A. Popov: Explicits solvers in an implicit code. Session GD8.4/EMRP4.10/TS8.7 – Recent advances in Geodynamics: Computational methods and applications
- W. Zhou, H. Paulssen: Monitoring the Groningen gas field by seismic noise interferometry. Session SM4.3 – Ambient seismic noise techniques: sources, monitoring, and imaging
CREEP at the Joint Assembly TSG-VMSG-BGA 2017:
Talk given at the annual Tectonic Studies Group meeting, held this year in Liverpool.
- Giacomo Pozzi, Nicola De Paola, Stefan B. Nielsen, Robert E. Holdsworth: Viscous Flow Causes Weakening in Calcite Gouges Sheared at Seismic Velocity – Wednesday, 4 January 2017; 16:45 – 17:00, Central Teaching Hub, Room B (Session 6: The structure and mechanics of fault zones III)
CREEP at AGU 2016:
CREEP participated actively to the 2016 AGU Fall meeting.
- Simon Preuss, Taras Gerya, Ylona van Dinther, Jean Paul Ampuero, Yannick Caniven: Seismic cycle modeling on evolving faults: The question of fault branching, – (abstract and poster) – Monday, 12 December 2016 13:40 – 18:00, Moscone South – Poster Hall. (Session: T13A: Bridging Tectonics and Earthquake Cycles)
- Jana Schierjott, Antoine Rozel, Paul Tackley: Influence of grain size evolution on the self-consistent generation of LLSVPs from primordial material and subjected MORB, Thursday, 15 December 2016; 08:00 – 12:20, Moscone South – Poster Hall. (Session: DI41C: Structure, Dynamics, and Evolution of Earth’s Deep Mantle)
- Giacomo Pozzi, Nicola De Paola, Stefan B. Nielsen, Robert E. Holdsworth: Viscous Flow Causes Weakening in Calcite Nanogouges Sheared at Seismic Velocity – (abstract) – Monday, 12 December 2016; 10:20 – 12:20, Moscone South, 306 (Session: T12B Strain Localization in the Lithosphere: From Experiments to Nature)
- Hanneke Paulssen & Wen Zhou – Monitoring the Groningen gas reservoir by noise interferometry – Monday, 12 December 2016 – 13:40 – 18:00 – Moscone South Poster Hall (Session S13B Reliability of the Green’s Function Extracted from Ambient Noise)
CREEP at Flow in the Deep Earth:
Flow in Deep Earth was a 2-day symposium (1-2 December 2016, link here) organized by Barbara Romanowicz and Patrick Cordier at the Collège de France, which focused on multidisciplinary approaches to study the mantle flow in the mantle, spanning from geodynamics and seismology to (and through) mineral physics and geochemistry.
CREEP ESRs presented posters on their recent results:
- Angelo Pisconti, Christine Thomas, James Wookey: Probing seismic anisotropy in the lowermost mantle beneath the Central Atlantic Ocean (poster)
- Gianluca Gerardi and Neil Ribe: 2D boundary-element modelling of free subduction: Influence of the overriding plate.
Senior CREEP researchers also participated actively to this workshop:
- Andréa Tommasi presented a talk on Flow and anisotropy in the mantle: Bridging the gap between the crystal and the geodynamic scales.
- Sylvie Demouchy, Tine Thomas, and James Wookey chaired sessions and animated the final discussion.
CREEP at the International Sustainability Conference 2016:
CREEP was represented in this conference in Utrecht, in 28/10/2016, by ESR3, Wen Zhou, who presented a poster on
- Wen Zhou, Hanneke Paulssen. Monitoring of the Groningen gas reservoir.
CREEP at GEOMOD 2016:
Two CREEP ESR students will attend the meeting close to Montpellier, France and presented posters in session S4- Seismic cycle and Earthquake dynamics. (http://geomod2016.gm.univ-montp2.fr)
- Elenora van Rijsingen: How does subducting seafloor roughness relate to the seismogenic behaviour of subduction zones? – Wednesday 19 October 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, poster.
- Simon Preuss, Taras Gerya, Ylona van Dinther, Jean Paul Ampuero, Yannick Caniven: Seismic cycle modeling on evolving faults: The question of fault branching, – Wednesday 19 October 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, poster.
CREEP at EMC 2016:
In the EMC 2016, in Rimini, Italy, M. Thieme presented a poster with the first results of his CREEP project:
- Thieme M., Demouchy S., Mainprice D., and Barou F.. Experimental ductile deformation of polycrystalline olivine at 1000 °C. S8. Diffusion, mineral reaction and deformation mechanisms from low to high temperatures: flow and brittle processes of the Earth’s interior, Tuesday 13 September 2016
CREEP at the COST action TIDES conference 2016:
In the COST action TIDES conference in Sesimbra, Portugal, 18-24/9/2016, Wen Zhou presented a talk on his most recent results:
- Wen Zhou, Hanneke Paulssen and André Niemeijer. Monitoring the Groningen gas reservoir by Ambient Noise Interferometry.
CREEP at SEDI 2016:
Two CREEP ESR students and some of the CREEP supervisors attended the meeting. Poster sessions and discussions, organized in several topics, were hold every day. The ESRs presented posters on their first results of their CREEP projects:
- Angelo Pisconti and Christine Thomas: P and S waves reflected in the lowermost mantle under the mid Central Atlantic Ocean, (abstract and poster), July 27th-Wednesday.
- Gianluca Gerardi and Neil Ribe: 2D boundary-element modelling of free subduction: Influence of the overriding plate (abstract), July 25th-Monday
CREEP at ‘The origin and evolution of plate tectonics’ workshop
At the workshop ‘The origin and evolution of plate tectonics’ organized by the ETH CREEP members P. Tackley and T. Gerya in collaboration with B. Stern (U. Texas, USA), in Ascona (CH), 17-22 July 2016, Jana Schierjott presented the poster:
Jana Schierjott, Antoine Rozel and Paul Tackley. Influence of grain size evolution on the self-consistent generation of LLSVPs from primordial material and subducted MORB: First estimates on possible pile characteristics
CREEP at EGU 2016:
Four CREEP ESRs – Elenora Van Rijsingen, Philipp Prasse, Jana Schierjott, and Simon Preuss – and many CREEP senior researchers attended the European Geosciences Union General Assembly in Vienna in April 2016.
Jana Schierjott, and Simon Preuss presented posters with the first results of their CREEP research projects:
- Jana Schierjott, Antoine Rozel, and Paul Tackley – Influence of grain-size evolution on the self-consistent generation of LLSVPs from primordial material and subducted MORB. EGU2016-15829, Tue, 19 Apr, 17:30–19:00 / Hall X2
- Simon Preuss, Taras Gerya, and Ylona van Dinther – Seismo-thermo-mechanical modeling of mature and immature transform faults. EGU2016-11741, Thu, 21 Apr, 17:30–19:00 / Hall X1
Philipp Prasse presented a poster on his MSc project, which had been performed in the University of Munster under the supervision of CREEP researcher Pr. Christine Thomas:
- Philipp Prasse and Christine Thomas – Anisotropy beneath the Southern Paciﬁc – real or apparent? EGU2016-3423, Mon, 18 Apr, 17:30–19:00 / Hall X2